Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Good Wife


This little lady has been missing her significant other, and it has got me thinking lots about marriage and love and all things mushy gushy, lovey dovey! So I figured I’d write about it!! The other day, an article was floating around Facebook about what used to be expected of women in like the 50’s or something like that.  It was pretty interesting, but it was also a little eye opening.

When Cade married me, he knew I wasn’t a good cook, he knew I was a little (lotta) bit crazy, and he knew I liked to sleep in till like one in the afternoon.  There wasn’t much that changed when we moved in together.  I tried a little more to keep a tidy home.  I worked a little harder at having dinner ready or at least started when he was home.  Cade didn’t expect any of these things from me though.  He never said anything about it to me or made any comments when dinner wasn’t ready or started, or any thing like that!  Looking at that article and thinking about my relationship, I couldn’t help but think how nice it would be to try some of those SUPER traditional things every once and a while.. Here were a few of my favorites and my thoughts on how I’d like to incorporate them into our life once we are together again!

“Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you’ll be refreshed when he arrives.  Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking.  He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.” This one is kinda easy for me, since I love getting dressed most mornings! I just think it is a nice idea to take a little minute to, maybe not rest, but touch up my make-up, change my shirt if it is covered in snot, straighten up my hair.. not anything crazy.  I think this little step alone would make Cade feel special.

“Clear away the clutter.  Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.”  BAH! This one will probably be a little tougher for me! I usually just wait till the kids are in bed to clean the house up, but maybe if I could have a basket that I throw everything in until the kids go to bed or something like that, it would just be nice to have the common area cleaned up when Cade got home.  I know I like coming home to a cleaned up home, and I’m sure Cade would too.  This would just be nice to be able to have a little less clutter visible.

“Be happy to see him.”  I know how easy it is, even over the phone, to let out ALLLL the things that bothered me that day, but sometimes I think it would be nice to try and be happy when Cade got home/when he called.  I know that this won’t happen every day… because you know.. some days are just crazier than others.  When I think about it, I’d like to make this a priority.

“Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.”  This one is a little more old fashioned, but I thought this would be nice to apply to the whole family.  In my religion, having the home a place of peace and love and a safe haven is very much a common goal.  I would love it if when anyone enters into our home, they feel peace and love, especially my family. 

Here are a couple of the expectations that I found pretty amusing...

This was the end to one about making a fire for him when it is colder.."After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction" haha I couldn't help but giggle at this one, I definitely feel that doing things for my husband makes me happy, but I am not there to serve him.  We are partners in our relationship.

"Listen to him.  You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time.  Let him talk first-- remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours."  It actually hurt me to write this one out! Oh my goodness, NO, we are both equally important!

"A good wife always knows her place."  I for reals LOLed!! WOW! This really shows how times have changed! It is crazy the difference of views from then to now! I am so grateful it I am not looked at like this anymore, and that I am an equal partner.  Cade and I both "wear the pants".

Keep in mind, this article was really old, and would probably cause a bit of controversy.  It is not always realistic, that is for sure.  I am very glad that list isn’t something that is honestly expected of me right now.  I love my leggings and topknots way too much! ;) Being away from my husband has made me appreciate him more and all that he is doing to support me and our family.  I am very blessed to be able to stay home with our girls, and I think showing Cade how much I appreciate it would be very beneficial for our marriage!  What little things do you do to show your significant other that you love them?  Do you think these are good ideas? Would you choose one of these to try? I’d LOVE to hear your thoughts!! XOXO britt





HAHA This is totally me right now! Also, who else loves these ecards?!
 
 The article from 1955...





No comments:

Post a Comment