Monday, November 9, 2015

Mini Pecan Pies


Written By: Sally

If there is one thing I’ve learned in my life, its that people love a good pie. And people REALLY love mini pies. Mini pies are a crowd pleaser. The crust to filling ratio is just perfect, and everyone loves to have their own individual pie. Plus, they are just so darn cute. Last year I shared my recipe for mixed berry mini pies over on my family blog here.


This week I tried something new, and a bit out of my comfort zone. It was my friend Jackie’s birthday this weekend so I offered to make her any dessert she could dream of. She told me she had been dreaming of pie lately and I was all over that. But then, she told me her favorite was Pecan Pie. Ew! I totally cringed. But you guys, it turns out Pecan Pie ROCKS! Seriously. It's got this crunchy top and ooey gooey filling. It's salty and sweet. It's so much better than I ever imagined. Plus, its so much easier than it looks.


I’m actually a little bit upset that I now have another dessert I can’t resist. Any time pecan pie was on the table, it was easy to turn down. That is no longer the case my friends, no longer the case. 

I got my mini pans as a wedding gift. They are from Williams Sonoma (buy them here) and I absolutely cannot live without them. These bad boys are a kitchen staple for me. I melt a little butter and use a pastry brush to make sure all the bumps and creases get buttered. In my mind, the more butter the better (always!) Plus you’ll want to make sure your pies slide out with ease.


For me, the crust is the most stressful part of baking a pie. It can be so finicky depending on humidity, butter temp, screaming children, ect. So, when I’m in a hurry, or feeling overwhelmed, I go with store bought pie crust. I know what you’re thinking, what a cop out. But it is so easy, and honestly really delicious! It’s a win-win in my mind. You’ll want the kind thats rolled up, NOT the kind thats already in a tin. 

If you’re using the store bought, make sure its not frozen when you’re ready to use it. Unroll it onto a piece of parchment paper or floured counter. Find something round in your kitchen that is about and inch to two inches bigger than your mini tins. Use that as a guide to cut out your mini crusts. You should be able to get six crusts out of one roll. I usually can get four, then combine the left overs and re-roll it to get two more.

When fitting the crust into the tin, you’ll want the crust to come up over the side of tins, even just a little bit. This will prevent the filling from dripping between the crust and the tin. That’s always a sticky situation and can make it really hard to get your pies out in one piece. 

The filling is so easy, you don’t even need a mixer. I love something I can mix with a wooden spoon. Start by chopping up the pecans and filling the crust a thin layer. In a small bowl, combine the eggs (beaten), sugars, corn syrup, salt, vanilla, and butter.  Stir just until its all combined, and smooth. It will still be a little grainy from the sugars. Pour this mixture over the pecans. You’ll want to fill them to the edge of the pan, not all the way to the top of the crust. The pecans will naturally rise to the top, and all the ooey goodness will sink to the bottom. Yum. Top with a couple of pecan halves for decoration. 


Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 min. Watch that your crusts don’t get too dark. Your pies are done when the crust is just golden and the center is no longer jiggly. It will be soft, but shouldn't jiggle like jell-o. Allow to cool, but not for long. Top that baby with ice cream and enjoy! Share, only if completely necessary.

They were a hit at Jackie’s birthday dinner, and we didn’t even have a single crumb left.  I don’t think I was the only one to lick my bowl clean. Hah! 

Here's the recipe written out for easy following. 





























Make sure to pin this recipe, and post/send us a picture when you make it! I'd LOVE to see how yours' turn out and hear what you think of the recipe.

XO
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment